Friday, May 18, 2012

Selena Li - Reverse Success

As rumor says, Selena Li is pursued by many, that's not surprising. That is related to her appearance. Selena majored in accounting, perhaps she is well qualified in HK's Central, but the place she works at is called TVB City, who isn't beautiful there? That is related to attitude. Selena initially came from a wealthy family, but her father eventually went bankrupted. When she participated in Miss Hong Kong, she won Miss Photogenic, but in the end she didn't even make it in the top five. She opened a beauty makeup school, but gets involved in a pyamind scheme scandal. All of that was worth drinking to forget the trouble, chug down two glasses of whiskey and vomit all over the floor, is what local young girls are likely to do. Selena wipes off her sweat and said: "For anything, should look a bit further, then you will realize there's a lot of the so-called misfortune in life, but actually that is a gift. The misfortune allows you to be stronger when greater future challenges come before you." Such an optimistic and active person, it's rare in this world.

It's a pity that Selena is said to only like second generation wealthy guys or even wealthy first generations, making the oridinary people take a step back. "I had a boyfriend, named Patrick Tang. We were together for 5 years."

Wild Princess

At age 6, Selena moved to Toronto with her mother. They lived in a big house and had a Lamborghini. "My father had a business that specialized in manufacturing calculators. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I knew all along that my family was wealthy."

Like a princess. "This princess is wild." Because Selena's mother was too stingy, like an ordinary housewife living in the village, she would only go out to the supermarkets when there are huge sales and thought soda was too expensive, so there would not be any cola in the fridge. "My house was very big and beautiful, but there was not one domestic worker. Vaccuming, doing the laundry, shoveling snow, my 2 siblings and I did it all."

Her mother liked going out to play mahjong. "During childhood, my relationship with my mother was very distant. It felt like no one cared for me. My father lived in Hong Kong, so he feels like a stranger."

This Princess fell into difficulty early, she had troubles, but there was nowhere she could complain. "Turns out it is a good thing."

That's considered a good thing? "I am not considered close with my parents. They got an divorced, but that wasn't a bolt from the blue. I've been living like a poor person since youth. My father went bankrupted, but that had limited impact on our everyday functioning. That's not considered good? At the end of the world, bad things, will become a good thing." Selena sounds like she's using the promotional tactics of an insurance agent.

Taking a Position

"My mother was frugal, but my father was the compete opposite. He knew his children didn't have money to use in Toronto, so he would secretly send each of us 1,000CAD on a monthly basis." Over HK$7,000 a month, take that to buy an air ticket to participate in Miss Hong Kong!

At the university in Toronto, Selena studied accounting. Ideally, she would have been working at one of the Big Four accounting firms for a few years and then consider getting her CPA, then take over on her father's business. Business students would be the deputy chairperson and then keep moving up from there, paving their future. Just because she was greedy for that one air ticket, she suddenly left to go participate in Miss Hong Kong before she graduates. "That year (2003), I got to travel to Phuket, Thailand and get a free air ticket to Hong Kong." From Toronto to Phuket, the journey was indeed a long one.

During the first round of the contest, I won Miss Talent and Miss Photogenic. Then I thought, even if I don't get first place, at least I could get first or second runner-up. In the finals, I got nothing. "That was a huge impact on me, and I started crying instantly. I wanted to fly back to Canada right away. Unexpectedly, I didn't have to be a goodwill ambassador because I didn't have the crown and I had lots of time, which actually gave me the most opportunities to shoot series." Another bad thing, turned into a good thing for Selena.

That year, the top 3 Miss Hong Kong were Mandy Cho (winner), Rabee'a Yeung (first runner-up) and Priscilla Chi (second runner-up).

"The first two years, I was already the second lead actress and was full of hopes. Looking at the people around me, who moved up as fast as I did? I was so busy, I didn't get any sleep, but I was happy."

Selena thought she had a rapid rise, but in the following years, she became unstable. Sometimes she was a supporting role, other times she was a guest star and sometimes it seems she was back as the second lead actress. The rapid rise, it belongs to someone else.

"I never had a stabled position. I don't know where TVB will put me, I feel so lost. Sometimes, I would think of my classmates, some majored in finance and are making a lot of money. I can say I have pretty good grades, and I'm willing to work, and I'm kind of pretty, if I was on another side, I may get a higher return. This is destiny."

Life's Project

In 2005, Selena met Patrick Tang while shooting series. "When we were dating, I often complained to him, I have series coming out every year, but I will never get the awards. What elements am I missing? Is it because I really have to rely on relationships to get something?"

The so-called 'destiny', two years after Selena entered the industry, her father went bankrupted. If he was bankrupted two years earlier or maybe never even encountered bankruptcy, Selena would have definitely had different plans.

"My father's bankruptcy was a great impact on me mentally, I had no longer had anyone to depend on. In the past, I had broad and high aims because I clearly knew that after all the struggles, no matter how bad the situation might be, I will still have my family as backup. After the bankruptcy, there was nothing left. If it was over for me, then it would be completely over. It is very very different."

A disappointed person ploughes into an 'atomic bomb' break up with Patrick Tang around the same time. "I'm a person that puts love in first place, it is everything. I still believe the Disney fairytales. I pursue a profound, passionate and perfect romance."

"When I first started dating him, I was feeling very down. He was on standby and always came to comfort me. Spiritually, he has helped me a lot. This relationship, in that instant, it was amazing! It was just impossible to keep for long. During the period of being passionately in love, one is so blind that no problems can be seen. As time passes, we get used to it and become lazy to contribute any further to the relationship. To maintain a relationship, it is a project of a lifetime."

The two dated for 5 years and broke up. Since then, Selena's career development has been on the rise again. Could it be that there is another reverse of fortune? "Was my work affected when I was with him? I don't know. I just know that when there's negative news, I won't feel like he was the one that dragged me down."

Cheat

In Gloves Come Off, Selena takes on the lead actress role fair and square. "In the recent two years, my position has stablized. My confidence has increased, but actually it wasn't too bad before either. If I tell people I had bad accomplishments, then I would definitely get scolded to death."

A fairytale love story will eventually come to an end, so why not just do a little planning. Selena's latest rumored partner is Tony Cruz's son and she got him after fighting with her good friend. His qualifications are outstanding comparing to her on-screen partners like Kevin Cheng or Kenneth Ma.

"I cannot eliminate the wealthy, but all of my ex-boyfriends, not one of them had a wealthy background. A rich boy, who does not depend on his father to give him shade and goes out to make his own living, I will really admire him. At the same time, I also understand, they only have the courage to do so because they know well in their hearts that they have unlimited backup support. That is the same as the old me. So, must cherish everything. When there is no support, it is often associated with greater resonance. From my experience, the majority of wealthy sons have very different system of values than me. Basically, we can't commuicate at all, so how can we be together?"

Selena does not ask for much when choosing a partner, she just hopes her boyfriend is smarter than she is and is faithful. "The real world is very gray. I've seen too many people that have a girlfriend, but then have another girl. I believe there is retribution. I would never cheat someone and I believe there is the same type of man out there."

In Hong Kong? Hahaha. "I will want to meet those who came from overseas more. They are not biased, and won't think all artists are just money hungry and want sexual relations."

Wait

Depending on others, why not just depend on yourself. Selena is currently 31 years old. "After my father's bankruptcy, I don't have enough sense of secruity. I watched my parents divorce, and that made me understand even more that relationships can change anytime. Women must not depend on men, must be capable to make her own living."

Back then, Selena gave up on her education for the Miss HK beauty contest, and ultimately after 6 years, she took a 4 month long break to fulfill her wish in Toronto.

"In reality, my degree is useless now." Unfortunately in the four month break, she met a friend in the beauty and makeup industry. When she got back to HK, she started her beauty school business. "I wasn't planning to retire from the entertainment industry and switch to doing business. Although, it's comforting to have another backup profession. It turns out, a person cannot do two things at once. Taking advantage of my fame to do business, the money can be easily earned. Whatever business you have, you will definitely be the public's target. Affecting my personal image may not necessarily be worth it. Results, I would just hit a dead end on both ends (as an actress and businesswoman)."

"Too many people like to complain and make small matters into a big deal. What is better than attacking an artist? If the company boss wasn't me, would it be on A1 (headlines)?"

Why not ponder over the positive side of this. Before being on A1, perhaps audience would still have a vague impression on Selena, one scandal can really deepen our memory.

"What's the point of being on one newspaper? In this industry, fame is to be accumulated slowly. Wayne Lai has been enduring for over 20 years before becoming popular. I've entered this industry, don't know how it's going to be like, and so I would hypnotize myself to continue to wait on."

Move Out

Selena and Patrick will soon be playing as a couple in their new series. What a joke, but what can she do, they are both working under the same company. It is hard to avoid bumping into each other.

"It's the past. Women are very strange, haven't moved out, kicked him out the door and he would still crawl back into the house. Put up the determination, whatever situation encountered, there will be no pain, no itch. I am that type. Today, when I see Katy Kung (Patrick's current girlfriend), I would just wish them happiness."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More