Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nancy Wu - 2012 is 'Good Person Year'; Hopes for a Leading Role


Thanks to Bride Wannabes and the current series Gloves Come Off, 31 year old Nancy Wu was first called 'High Level Sing Lui' and then a report said she's pursuing 7 guys and was named 'The New Generation Flirt'. In Gloves Come Off, Nancy plays a deaf and mute female boxer, but the role isn't as attractive as her rumors.

Nancy: "Actually when I first debuted, I already had this label. Up until today, after so many years, I suddenly get this rumor again. I already have no feeling and have stopped paying attention to if others think I'm a flirt or not." Actually that is quite pleasing because only when someone is popular there are more gossips and rumors, so that's pretty comforting for Nancy. "In the last 10 years, I have been accumulating a lot in my career, having ups and downs, but my direction was unclear. It is only in these recent years my goal is becoming clearer and clearer. I have more and more confidence and a larger workload, so it is only now that I truly feel that I am an artist and actress. This is actually just the beginning of my career."

Following Nancy's loving and mischievous daughter-in-law role in Daddy Good Deeds, in the recent series Gloves Come Off, Nancy plays the deaf and mute female boxer "Ding Ding". Two months before filming, Nancy went through Muay Thai training: "I think Ding Ding is considered my temporary representative work." Compared to her past roles such as the 4th Mistress in Silver Chamber of Sorrows and the immature young girl in No Regrets, Ding Ding is a lot more righteous.

She smiled awkwardly: "Actually not negative characters, just villian roles, as the audience calls it. I believe the roles I get, many of my colleagues hope to get. The only role I would resist is being a mistress. I think no female artist wants to do such a role (mistress)...but as a newcomer that could get a role in Silver Chamber of Sorrows, I was extremely happy, its something I never tried before and the series also had a heavy weighted cast, why would I mind?"

13 years ago, Nancy lost in the New Talent Singing Contest, and then worked as an OL (Office Lady) for 2 years. In 2001, she participated in The 3rd TVB Cover Girl Contest and won first place. In 2003, she graduated from the TVB Acting Class and was already casted in Triumph in the Skies as Joe Ma's little sister. Since then, she had pretty good prospects. "Ever since my first series, I was not given those innocent young girl roles, that is my direction or what the producer thinks is suitable for me. My first costume series Twin of Brothers, I was already a villian!"

"I remember clearly, back then Flora [Chan] asked me 'This is your second series? [You're] still young, should try anything.' I remembered her words all along. At the time, I didn't have much power to decline any series, the producers came to find me."

2012 is 'Good Person Year'

Usually those who just graduated from the Acting Class are good because they can't choose and are easy to use, but is Nancy afraid she'll forever be seen as a villain? "I've recently thought about the colleagues that debuted the same year as me. The majority of them play good roles, and really hope to play a villain. As for me, I have done a lot of villain roles and audience hope to see me in good roles. My colleagues' breakthrough is to be a villain, while my breakthrough is to be a good character. Perhaps the role Ding Ding is very pitiful, but I told my Fans, 2012 is my 'Good Person Year'. They will not see Nancy Wu as a villain."

Anticipation for the Lead Role

In 2010, Nancy played the sexy undercover cop in Gun Metal Grey and won herself the Best Supporting Actress award. The following year, Fala Chen won for No Regrets. At the time, they were involved in a lot of 'compete for award' gossips, and it was even criticized on Facebook of where Nancy's justice is. Water under the bridge, that year the competitors were all stable First Line FaDans, but Nancy was just silently plowing through.

"I've been in the industry for 10 years already...there was a period of time where I had no confidence because no one told me if I did good or not. There wasn't anything that allowed me to have certainty. In the recent years, I have better understandings and have confidence to cover the doubts of 'Why are you still in supporting roles? Why hasn't your opportunities come yet?'. Before getting the Most Improved Actress award in 2008, I was pretty lost. I always thought to myself, what else can I do? I know how to dance, so how come I wasn't asked do it? I don't blame my company for not letting me do it because if I could perform at the TVB anniversaries, that means TVB supports you. When you are still a newcomer and didn't start out as a Miss Hong Kong, then your opportunity won't come as fast."

Currently, there are great competitions for the TVB Siu Sang and FaDan positions. Since Nancy had the opportunity to pair with TV King Wayne Lai three times Rosy Business, Forensic Heroes III and The Confidant, her capability has reached a level of certainty. So what else does she lack? "Actually, it's not about what line I'm in (lead or supporting role), but it is rather, I hope to be a true lead actress. I hope to be able to have a series that belongs to me, that is the meaning of a leading actress. I believe there will be this opportunity one day!"

Rationality and Relationships

In regards to the lead actress role, Nancy expressed: "I hope to do this within 1-2 years." However before she takes on the FaDan position, she already has some gossips. Recently it was reported she's involved in 7 relationships, like with Joe Ma and Ron Ng. She has been named 'The Next Generation Flirt', taking Charmaine Sheh's spot.

"Now that Gloves Come Off is airing, I'll just treat it as your cover story gift to me. Most important is to have pretty pictures! I have never used entertainment news as a way to package myself. People around me have said "Your on the headlines! One person with 7 people, and you even have producer Poon Ka Tak accompanying you! You have won it all!" to comfort me. That is a good thing, if you didn't have any value, then people wouldn't give you a cover story. However, I counted again and again and I don't know how there is 7. How can Tak Gor (Poon Ka Tak) be in on the rumors. He brought me into this industry, and takes good care of me. The report said I gave him a massage, if that was true, then it is because I care about this person. Why can't I give him a massage? Why not? And vice versa, if he gave me a massage, that is not a problem either because I am like his daughter and he is like a father to me. If the situation is like what the report said, so much like an affair and I really did do something like that, then I really have to reflect on myself!"

[FACE] wonders Nancy being someone who looks so robust, where is the 'flirt' in her? "I personally haven't investigated on why people see me as one either. Perhaps it's easy for me to get along with males. I like to talk about cars and sometimes I even put my arm around shoulders with my male artist friends, like Wai Wai (Oscar Leung). Or perhaps you all have misunderstood my intention, but I really just chat about cars and the scripts with my colleagues. Maybe they think I'm very talkative, or very rough. People that know me know that I'm very direct and whether if I'm happy or sad, it's all shown on my face. I see two sides of this. As an artist, being called a flirt, that means I'm very attractive. Actually it's a compliment."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More