Friday, May 11, 2012

Matthew Ko troubled by broken hamstring, 3 months out of work: 'Fear of Becoming Crippled'


Lately there has been a shortage of TVB Siu Sang and FaDans, so many of the second line actors have the opportunity to move up. Amongst them is Matthew Ko, following his earlier appearance as Kent Cheng's son in The Greatness of a Hero, he has accepted three other series, advancing in his journey to become a front line Siu Sang.

However on Sunday (May 6th), Matthew had an accident while playing basketball and broke his right hamstring. He was rushed immediately rushed to the hospital and a cast was put on his leg. The injury looks quite serious as he had to undergo surgery too. On Monday (May 7th), [Sudden Weekly] followed Matthew as he transferred to a different hospital. He said: "I'm so unhappy, can't walk now. I'm really afraid I'll turn into a crippled man and I'm dragging the entire filming progression...I feel really sorry."

27 year old former Mr. HK winner, Matthew Ko, had several opportunities to be in series after the contest. However, the majority of his roles were just cameo roles. When Ricky Wong stomped into the television industry and started 'stealing' artists, there has been a shortage of TVB Siu Sangs. Since last year, Matthew had been shooting series nonstop. Earlier this year, he first collaborated with Myolie Wu in House of Harmony and Vengeance and then with Niki Chow and Michael Tse in Sergeant Tabloid. Just recently, he accepted three other series. A TVB staff reveals: "Many producers like to use Matthew because he's got the looks, he's obedient and on time. He's been working for 7 years and his acting has been maturing quite a bit."



'Girlfriend' really worried

It was understood after Matthew's accident, the first person he notified was rumored girlfriend Tracy Ip. On Tuesday, Tracy told [Sudden]: "I know he's in the hospital, and I already sent my regards to him. I told him to rest up. (Will you go visit him?) These things, it's enough that we both know. Hope he recovers soon." [Oriental Daily] Earlier Matthew was spotted having a girl sit on his lap at a bar, Tracy was asked if she's jealous? She said: "I'm not going to be jealous, he had always been popular. I am one of his fans too. We are friends, at most we are just a rumored couple."

Matthew participated in a basketball competition on Sunday night after he finished filming for new series Love Exceeds the Coastline and broke his hamstring. Reporters called Matthew on Monday morning and he explained the accident: "I was running when I suddenly had severe pain on my right leg. Then I couldn't run anymore. It was about 11pm then, so I could only go to the public hospital's emergency room for treatment. The doctor said I broke my hamstring and will have to undergo surgery to put it back in place. I am feeling very unhappy because I can't walk now, I'm afraid I'll turn into a crippled man! Aiya! I started working part-time since I was 15, and have never been out of work for this long!"

It was understood after Matthew's surgery, he will have to be in a cast for 3 months before he can get back on his feet. This means, he must stop working completely for these 3 months. Currently, he has three series on hand including Love Exceeds the Coastline, Justice Pursuit & Attack and Come Home Love. The series that will have the greatest impact due to Matthew's accident is Love Exceeds the Coastline with Raymond Wong and Aimee Chan. Not being able to work for several months, Matthew is very concerned: "I've already been shooting for some 10 days, this time they probably will get someone else to replace me! I just feel so sorry, I affected the entire filming progression. I hope I can get back to work as soon as possible."

Love Coastline's producer Leung Choi Yuen expressed: "Matthew plays a rich boy in this series, he has a very important storyline. There will be some affect, but we can still handle it. He said [we] will have to wait at least several weeks. This series really can't wait, so we are currently looking for other candidates to replace him and re-shoot his scenes."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More